Webex app has been updated with a fresh new look. The update brings a lot of features from multiple products into one platform. We are going to focus on meetings and connecting to conference rooms.
The New Interface
The key features we are used to still work and operate the same way, they just look a little different.
Important Areas to Know
- RED - Used to navigate through the areas of Webex. Meetings is the default view
- YELLOW - This is used to connect to conference rooms for presentations and screen sharing
- GREEN - Used to start a meeting from a personal room, join a meeting, or schedule a meeting
- PURPLE - This area reflects your Google calendar
How to Start, Join, and Schedule a Webex Meeting
These three functions remain the same from previous versions, but we will walk you through process with the new interface.
Start a Personal Room Meeting
- Open Webex
- Click the "Start a Personal Room meeting" icon, the green circle with a camera in it
- The new meeting window pops-up. If desired, you can set the following options before starting your meeting:
- Change virtual back ground
- Mute your mic
- Turn off camera
- Test your camera, mic, and speakers
- Event connect to a video system if one is within range
- Click "Start meeting"
Join a Meeting
There are two ways to join a meeting. The easiest way is to click the meeting link shared with you from the organizer. Usually found in a calendar invite or email. The second way is to join a meeting using the meeting ID number.
- Open Webex
- Click the "Join a meeting" icon, the green circle with a door and arrow in it
- Webex will show a popup that asks for the meeting ID number
- The meeting organizer will have this information
Schedule a Meeting
- Open Webex
- Click the "Schedule a meeting" icon, the white circle with a calendar icon in it
- Webex will popup a notification informing you it will schedule the meeting using Google Calendar
- Click "Open" and Webex will open your Google Calendar Event using your default web browser
- TIP: If you click "Don't show me this again" it will skip the notification in the future
- On the event page you will be able customize the event by changing the name, adding people to the invite list, setting meeting location, etc.
- You can keep the personal room invite OR
- You can clear the personal room invite and choose "Add video conferencing" > then select "Webex Meeting" to make a unique meeting invite
- Click "Save" to send out invitations
How to Connect and Use a Conference Room
Connecting to a conference room gives you the ability to start or join a meeting using the equipment in the room instead of your computer. You can also connect to share your screen and hold an in-person meeting or training.
Connecting to a Conference Room
- Open Webex
- Click the "Connect to a device" located at the top right of the Webex window.
- Webex will automatically detect equipment in the conference room
- If the room you are in is not listed at the top then make sure your computer mic is not muted and contact our help center, extension 20231 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The list will also display previously used conference rooms for easy reference
Starting a Meeting or Joining a Meeting while Using a Conference Room
- After connecting to a conference room name of the room will display at the top right corner of the Webex window
- Click "Share on device"
- The Screen Sharing options appear
- You can choose to share your whole screen or specific program windows
- Checking "Share computer audio" will send audio from your computer to the conference room
- NOTE: Sharing your whole screen is often easiest, BUT all your notifications will show on screen while connected
- Once all options are selected, click "Share" and your screen will display in the conference room